Friday, May 15, 2015

Grinding Your Own Meat at Home

Do you know how expensive it is to buy ground chicken or pork? Not to mention how pricy hamburger is these days.

Well, I've got good news. If you have a food processor, you can grind your own meats at homes. Buy your meat on sale if you can to save even more money. I routinely buy pork loin at Sam's Club for $1.78 a pound. Then I grind part of it up to use as sausage or simply ground pork.

Ground chicken is very expensive. But if you buy chicken breasts on sale, you can grind your own. You have the added benefit of knowing exactly what is going in to your ground meat.

The same is true for beef. If you can get a roast on sale, use some of it for ground beef.

Here's what you do.

Use the metal blade on your food processor. Cut the meat into slices or chunks. You can leave some fat on it because that will help the meat stick together.
Pulse the processor several times until the meat reaches the desired consistency. Don't over do it, or you'll end up with meat paste instead of ground meat.
Now my ground pork is ready to be made into sausage. I just add the spices I want and mix it all together. In this case, I'm making Italian sausage.

Now my ground sausage is ready to be used in my recipe. More likely than not, I'm going to use this to make Italian Sausage Sandwiches. I've stopped buying sausage links and patties now and make my own. It's so much cheaper and healthier!


No comments:

Post a Comment