Thursday, February 26, 2015

Chicken Sausage and Veggie Hash

I'm always searching for new recipes for quick lunches for the family. Since we're all home every day (I homeschool the kids and hubby works from home), I have to come up with lunch. Every day.

I used to rely on leftovers for next day lunches, but with a growing teenage boy in the house, leftovers are a rare occurrence these days.

This recipe has protein and lots of yummy veggies. The original recipe called for sweet potatoes, but I leave them out because no one likes them but me. The beauty of this dish is that is easily customizable to suit your family's likes. Often, I just use whatever veggies I have on hand, but here's what my family likes best.

You'll need:

1 pkg. fully cooked chicken sausage links
1 small onion, diced
2 teas minced garlic
1 red or green pepper, seeded and diced
1 zucchini, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach or kale
sea salt and pepper to taste
Optional : crumbled feta or shredded Parmesan cheese

Slice the sausage links into bite sized pieces. I use this brand of sausage that I find at Publix.
I like the short ingredient list.
Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sausage pieces and cook until browned.

Add the onions and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are almost translucent. Then add the pepper and zucchini. Cook for another 5 minutes.

The mushrooms are next and they won't take long to get softened. When they are soft, add the spinach or kale. Cook and stir until wilted.

Season with salt and pepper. If desired, sprinkle with a little feta or Parmesan cheese for a little tang.




No comments:

Post a Comment