Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Creamer

I love pumpkin spice lattes. I don't love paying $5 for one, though. I started using pumpkin spice creamer to achieve the same flavor. Then I began to take a closer look at the ingredients and realized I didn't need to be adding all that stuff to my coffee!

So I've been on a quest to make my own creamer.

I've tried several different recipes and have come to the conclusion that simpler is better. Most recipes for homemade pumpkin spice creamer include pureed pumpkin in the ingredients. After trying several incarnations of said recipes, I've come to the conclusion that the pumpkin itself isn't really needed.

I know, I know. It shocked me too. The pumpkin left a residue in the bottom of my coffee cup, but really didn't impart much flavor. What really adds the yummy pumpkin spice taste is the spice.

So here's a very simple recipe I've come up with that satisfies my craving for a pumpkin spice drink without all the chemical ingredients in store bought creamer.

You'll need:

1 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 - 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, depending on how sweet you like your coffee
1 1/2 teas pumpkin pie spice
1 teas vanilla extract
additional cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for garnish, optional

In a small saucepan, gently warm the heavy cream and milk. You don't want this to boil. Stir in the maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla.

Store in a glass container and keep in the fridge. I use a salad dressing cruet. I just give it a gentle shake before I pour the creamer into my coffee.
Here's one of my favorite coffee mugs:
Front   

Back
Can you guess where this mug came from?

No comments:

Post a Comment