Monday, August 26, 2013

Sausage Stuffed Zucchini

Or how to take a perfectly healthy vegetable and make it less so!

My kids have never been fond of zucchini. Nor has my husband. I, on the other hand, could it eat it all the time! So I've struggled finding zucchini recipes that they'll like. Well, at least that they'd eat without groaning too much.

This recipe fits the bill. The sausage adds so much flavor. You can use chicken sausage or turkey sausage to cut down on the fat.

Here's what you need:

2 large zucchini (I've been having a hard time finding large ones this year)
1/2 pound sausage, browned and drained
2 TBSP sour cream
1 teas dried parsley
1/2 teas garlic powder
1/4 curry powder
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Parmesan, but cheddar is great, too!)

Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise.
With a spoon or melon baller, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini.
Chop up the zucchini into small pieces. The smaller they are, the easier it is to stuff them back into the zucchini.
Combine with the remaining ingredients. Fill the hollowed-out zucchini with the sausage mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until zucchini shells are tender.
I will warn you, the zucchini has a lot of moisture, so your filling might be a little runny. This does not affect the deliciousness in any way. My kids gobble these up and ask for more!

Substitute other herbs or spices to suit your family's tastes. You could even use bacon in place of the sausage if you like. Make some stuffed zucchini today!

2 comments:

  1. This is actually low carb! My mom and dad are doing this so I'll send them a copy, looks wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they like it! I didn't even think about it being low-carb.

      Delete