Friday, May 17, 2013

My Cooking Inspiration

 This is my grandma. My dad's mom. Growing up, she and my Papaw lived next door to us. I spent much of my childhood at her house, taking advantage of her phenomenal cooking. And her hugs. She could give the best hugs!

Today would have been my grandmother's 96th birthday. She passed away during the summer after I graduated from high school. Twenty-five years since I felt her hug? It's unbelievable that so much time has passed and that life has gone on without her presence.

My parents tell me I cook like she did. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Tweaking recipes to my liking. I wish I had paid closer attention back then. I wasn't all that interested in cooking as a teenager. I thought I had all the time in the world to find out her cooking secrets.

Now the thought of cooking like her, at least in their esteemed opinion, makes me happy. I love her and miss her every day. I wouldn't be who I am without her influence on my life.  I'm glad that in addition to her legacy of love and laughter, I might be able to carry on a little of her cooking legacy, too.

Happy Birthday, Grandma!


1 comment:

  1. She would be so proud of you and your brothers! And as for all the great-grand kids, she would've had hugs for all of them. Miss her too!!

    ReplyDelete