Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Yogurt Cake


When I think of spring in the Deep South, I think of strawberries. Well, I think of pollen, too. But let's not dwell on that.

This luscious cake is full of fresh strawberries, mixed with a hint of lemon. It actually tastes like spring to me! I served it for Easter dessert and it got raves from my family. It's good as a breakfast cake, too. Hmmmm, I wonder how I figured that out.

For a long time, I was reluctant to try this cake because it is made in a Bundt pan. Bundt pans and I have had many a mishap over the years. I finally learned to grease and flour the pan WELL, not lightly. That has made all the difference.

So don't be afraid to try this one because it's baked in a Bundt pan. Grease the pan up, then flour it plenty. The cake will slide right out!

Now here's what you need:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 (6 oz) container lemon Greek yogurt (Chobani's is the only brand I could find that made lemon)
2 TBSP milk
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 teas baking powder
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt
1 pint strawberries, washed and diced

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice

Grease and flour well a 10-inch Bundt pan. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. (You'll be reducing the heat when you put this in the oven, so it won't be hot enough to burn your cake.)

In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. I use half brown sugar because I think it makes the cake taste a little richer, but you can use all granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, milk and lemon juice.

In a small bowl, toss the diced strawberries with about 1/4 cup of the flour. In another bowl combine the remaining flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the yogurt mixture and mix well.

Gently stir in the strawberries, trying not to crush them. The flour should help them not sink to the bottom of the pan.

Spread the batter into the greased pan. Place the pan in the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the pan comes out clean.

Allow the cake to cool for about 20 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate to cool completely. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together, then drizzle over the cake while it's still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment