Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Fun-Filled Birthday Weekend

When my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I knew exactly what I wanted - a weekend away with him.We have so little time, just the two of us, so it's very special to me.

 He took me to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tennessee, in the Smoky Mountains. We had gorgeous weather and tons of fun as we explored the arts community of Gatlinburg, picking up a few unique craft and food items along the way.

When we go away from home, we try to eat at places we can't get at  home. This trip we ate at the Bullfish Grill. I had some juicy, tender prime rib with cheese grits.
We also enjoyed a dinner show at the Lumberjack Feud. I highly recommend the food and the entertainment.




We also set sail on Titanic attraction in Pigeon Forge.
Unfortunately, we couldn't take pictures inside. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing actual artifacts from the Titanic, as well as learning more about the personal stories of passengers and crew.

When we entered, we were given boarding passes. Each one bore the name of a passenger or crew member. Personal information such as age, homeland, and occupation was listed. At the end of the experience, you find out if your "person" survived the tragedy. I was a third-class passenger from Sweden who survived only because I happened to be on deck with two of my small children. Women with children were off-loaded into lifeboats first.

Charles ended up not surviving. He was a second-class passenger, also from Sweden, returning to America after a visit to his homeland. I highly recommend this attraction if you're in the area. It's an amazing experience.


And what would a birthday be without cake? We found a cute little cupcake shop and indulged a little.
Today we came home to the kids and reality. We missed them terribly, of course. And now I have to cook for myself and the family again.

But I'll carry the sweet memories we made and private little jokes just between us. I sure enjoy spending time with my love!

1 comment: