Monday, September 17, 2012

Sausage, Red Beans & Rice in the Crockpot!

I love crockpot meals. It's so convenient to toss a few ingredients together and let the appliance do the cooking. This is one of those meals that is so simple, you can hardly consider it cooking! When I found the recipe at Freezing Your Way Fit, I knew I had to try it. Of course, I tweaked it a bit. But it's a very hearty, satisfying dish that even my kids loved.

Here's what you need:

1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
3 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb smoked sausage or kielbasa
1 small onion, diced
1 small green pepper, diced
1 teas Creole seasoning
1 teas dried oregano
1 teas garlic powder
1 teas sea salt
1/4 teas black pepper
1/4 teas dried thyme
a pinch of cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)

Stir all the ingredients together in a lightly greased crockpot. Avoid stirring during the cooking process to avoid excess gumminess. A little sticky is okay and perfectly normal. But you don't want mush.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. All of the liquid should be absorbed.



I'm sharing this recipe at Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that looks good! I love Red Beans and Rice!

    I'd love it if you would link this (and a couple other recipes if you'd like) up to Wonderful Food Wednesday at: http://www.athometake2.com. I hope you can stop by.

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete