Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homemade Chicken Patties

When I saw this recipe on Heavenly Homemakers, I knew I had to try it. Chicken patty sandwiches were a staple at our school cafeteria, but no one really knew for sure what was in them. Well, thanks to this recipe, you will know exactly what is in your chicken patties and be assured the ingredients are healthy!

The original recipe called for 6 eggs, but I experimented and dropped that amount down to 4, mainly for texture. Six eggs was too "eggy" in my opinion. My family agreed. They frequently ask for these chicken patties for lunch. Since I make them up ahead of time and freeze them, it only takes about 15 minutes to get lunch on the table.

Here's what you need:

3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
2 teas garlic powder
1 teas black pepper
1 teas sea salt
4 eggs

In a food processor, grind the chicken, onion, carrots and seasonings together until no big chunks remain. Add the eggs and mix well. The mixture will be gooey and orange. Don't worry, it will brown as the chicken cooks. Transfer from the food processor to a bowl. It will be much easier to scoop this way.

Heat coconut oil in a skillet until very hot. I used about 1/2 cup coconut oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon, scoop mixture into hot oil.


The mixture will spread a bit, so be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Brown on one side, then carefully turn over so the other side can cook. I had to use two spatulas to do this, otherwise the half-cooked patty would slide off and make a huge mess.
Because the chicken is not as dense, it won't take long to cook, maybe 3 or 4 minutes on each side. When the patties are cooked through, drain on paper towels. Use sandwich or hamburger buns to make chicken patty sandwiches.

I usually get about 12 patties from this recipe. If I'm not serving them right away, I freeze them in Ziploc bags after they've completely cooled. To reheat, remove from the freezer and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes until heated through.


3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to these this coming month...and hoping my blender does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please tell me about the purpose of the carrots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrots add some more nutrition, texture and color.

      Delete