Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Meatball Sliders

When I make Italian meatballs, I like using leftovers for meatball subs. The downside for me is that the long hoagie bun often gets soggy before I can finish eating it. And I don't like soggy buns. I know. I'm weird.

The perfect solution is taking the concept of a meatball sub and turning it into individual sandwiches that can be eaten in a few bites - sliders! I use my Italian meatball recipe, but I make them slightly bigger to fit the sandwich roll. Nobody likes meatballs rolling around and slipping off their sandwiches! You can purchase dinner rolls at the grocery store or make your own small sandwich buns. Either way is delicious!

Now, here's what you need for the meatballs:

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 teas garlic powder
1 teas sea salt
1/2 teas black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten

You'll also need:

Small sandwich buns like dinner roll size
Spaghetti or marinara sauce
Fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

In a large mixing bowl, combine the meatball ingredients. Form into large balls. I got 9 meatballs from this recipe. Place on a broiler pan.

Slightly flatten the meatballs with your hand. This will help them fit the bun better.




Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Heat up the spaghetti sauce in a large pan. Nestle the meatballs (though technically by now they're meat patties) into the sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.
When you're ready to make the sliders, split and toast the sandwich rolls. These are the rolls I used. Next time I will make my own.




Scoop out a meatball along with some sauce and place on a roll. Top with a slice of cheese. You can pop them under a broiler for a few minutes if you want the cheese to be gooey and melty, but we liked ours this way.

Just the right size and no soggy buns!

No comments:

Post a Comment