Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies

When I first found this recipe, I wasn't sure how it would hold together. I mean, don't cookies need flour? What about sugar?

Well, the oats in the recipe act as a binder. The sweetness of the bananas and dried cranberries weren't as sweet as sugar but still made the cookies yummy. The applesauce provides plenty of moistness, too.

I didn't think the kids would go for them, to be honest. But boy, was I wrong! They gobbled them up and wanted more. I liked the cookies better when they were slightly warm, but the kids didn't care. Warm or not, they are good!

Here's what you need:

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned (not quick) oats
3 bananas, mashed
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 teas cinnamon

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. The batter will be very moist.


With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, drop the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I got 12 good-sized mounds out of the batter.


Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and set.






Feel free to substitute raisins or any other dried fruit for the cranberries. Chopped nuts make a nice crunchy addition, too. These cookies also freeze very well and are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment