Monday, April 16, 2012

Orange Bars

If you want a sweet, citrusy way to end a meal, you need to try these Orange Bars, based on Paula Deen's Orange Brownie recipe.

I tweaked the recipe a bit to reduce the amount of sugar, cause 2 cups is too much. The bars were still plenty sweet with a lovely dash of orange flavor. I served these at our dessert party, and they were a huge hit. So no one missed the extra sugar. Be sure to cut these into small bars, since there is plenty of richness from the butter. It is, after all, a Paula Deen recipe.

Here's what you need:

1 1/2 cups flour - I used half white wheat and half unbleached white
1 1/2 cups sugar - I might reduce this further the next time
1 teas salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 eggs
2 teas pure orange extract
1 teas. grated orange zest

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teas orange juice - you might need a little more to make it pourable
1 teas grate orange zest

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until well blended.


Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Using a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the bars.


Mix up the glaze, then pour over the entire surface.


Let the pan cool completely before cutting into bars.







 
*Click HERE for a printable recipe!*

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these! I love anything with citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look very good!! I'm going to have to pin this so I can make it sometime. I would love it if you linked this up to my blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete