Monday, June 13, 2011

Chicken on a Stick

I was watching an old Barefoot Contessa episode and watched Ina Garten fry up some chicken then skewer it. I thought it was a neat idea, even though I'm not much of a fryer myself. But it would be an interesting way to serve chicken and I figured the kids would like it.

I figured right! I changed the recipe a little and made my chicken skewers smaller than Ina's. But I give her credit for the inspiration to create these crispy chicken strips.

Here's what you'll need:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup flour
2 teas sea salt
1 teas garlic powder
1/2 teas pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used panko crumbs and added Italian seasoning)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
wooden skewers

Slice the chicken breasts into strips. I got 4 strips out of two, 3 strips out of the other which was smaller.


Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a paper plate. Place the beaten eggs into another paper plate. Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in another.

Coat each chicken strip first in flour.


Then dip into the egg.


And finally coat in the bread crumbs.



Heat some oil in a skillet. Fry the chicken strips until golden, turning once. You might need to do this in batches. Add more oil to the skillet as needed.


To keep the chicken strips warm until all of them are cooked, place on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.

Carefully thread the skewers through the fried strips.


Enjoy! Mr. Lego certainly did!


We used barbecue sauce, honey mustard dressing and ranch dressing as dipping sauces. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment