Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread

I've never really been a fan of cornbread. My exposure to it was limited to Jiffy mix which often turned out dry and crumbly. Imagine my relief when my husband told me shortly after we were married that he didn't like cornbread either! Whew!

Then I stumbled on this recipe and I thought I'd give cornbread another try. Hubby agreed to try, too. To my surprise, this recipe won him over. But it's the only way he'll eat cornbread now. This cornbread is moist and flavorful with a sweet undertone.

Now this recipe calls for buttermilk, and I do think it makes a difference in the taste. But I don't regularly keep buttermilk on hand. Instead, I measure 1 tablespoon of vinegar into a measuring cup and then fill with enough milk to equal one cup total liquid. I let this sit for a few minutes. It tastes just like buttermilk!

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teas baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 teas salt

Stir melted butter and sugar together. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Add the baking soda to the buttermilk, then stir into the butter mixture. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and salt. Mix with wet ingredients until well blended and there are few lumps.

Pour batter into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil.


After I take the cornbread from the oven, I like to brush with a little more melted butter. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I too, am not a big fan of cornbread, but this sounds like it would be worth my while to give it a try. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look really delicious -- I'm a fan of buttermilk in anything.

    ReplyDelete