Monday, November 15, 2010

Rustic Apple Tart

Apple pie is one of my all-time favorite desserts. I just love it. But I wanted to make something a little different than a traditional apple pie. So I tried my hand at making an apple tart. Charles promptly asked why I hadn't made one before and could I make one again really soon! I guess it was a hit.

If you want to make this completely from scratch, by all means do so. Use your favorite one-crust pie dough recipe. You can also use your own apple pie filling, too. I've got a recipe here if you want to try it. I'm going to make a big batch this week to have on hand for holiday baking.

But this recipe is quick and easy. It goes together in no time and is perfect when you want something yummy and sweet without a lot of prep work.

Here's what you need:

1 refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
1 can apple pie filling
1 teas cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP milk

Roll out the pie crust to fit a baking stone or pizza pan. Spread the pie filling over the crust, leaving about 2 inches around the edges. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts.


Fold the edges up over the filling, crimping a little as you go. The dough will overlap and form a nice ring around the filling. Isn't that pretty?



Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool. Mix together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over the tart. Use a pizza cutter to slice into wedges and serve.


For more yummy recipes, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday over at Blessed with Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment