Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Easiest Cookie in a Jar Recipe

When I was teaching in a Christian school, I used to make cookies in a jar for all of my fellow teachers for Christmas. They all loved receiving a gift they could use during the holidays.

I'd set up an assembly line in the kitchen, packing down the ingredients and trying not to make a huge mess. I'd measure out flour for each jar, then sugar, then the next ingredient and so on until the jars were filled instead of trying to fill them one at a time.

There had to be an easier, quicker way. But I couldn't come up with one.

Until I started thinking about my recipe for cake mix cookies. Why not combine the recipe with the jar idea?

So that's what I did!

All you need is a cake mix, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 cup of mix ins (refer to the recipe linked above for ideas), and a quart jar. You'll also need to print or write out the instructions and attach the to the jar.

Start by making sure your jar is clean. Pour about half of the cake mix into the jar and pack it down. I use my Pampered Chef tart shaper, but anything like a spatula or spoon will do. Add the baking powder next. Then add the rest of the cake mix and pat, pat, pat. I'm using a spice cake mix for this jar.


Layer your mix-ins next. I put 1/2 cup nuts in, then 1/2 cup butterscotch chips. Toffee bits would also be good with the spice cake mix. To give the jar a more interesting layered look, you could put half the cake mix, then half the mix-ins and repeat the layers. It's up to you!


Print the instructions onto cardstock and attach them to the jar. I punched a hole in the cardstock and used a simple curling ribbon to attach it. You can get as fancy as you want to.



The recipe instructions read as follows:

Pour the jar contents into mixing bowl. Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Stir until well combined. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Yield: 3 1/2 dozen.

I can't tell you what a timesaver this is! It used to take me all evening to fill jars, now it takes just minutes! I got cake mixes on sale for $.68, so it's pretty cheap too!

For more holiday tips and gift ideas, head over to Works for Me Wednesday hosted by We are THAT Family.

2 comments:

  1. You are a genius! I have always wondered if there was an easier way myself. Thanks for sharing.

    Stop over and visit me over at Free 2 Be Frugal sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, it has been quite a while, but I used to love making these. This one looks super easy, too!

    Love for you to link up to our Keeping CHRIST in CHRISTmas linky - http://www.lamp-unto-my-feet.com/2010/11/celebrate-christ.html

    ReplyDelete