Monday, July 12, 2010

Homemade Cherry Pie Filling

If you're looking for a not-too-sweet cherry pie filling, look no further. I made this pie filling over the weekend and the family loved it! It's so simple, too. The hardest part was pitting the cherries. I don't have a cherry pitter. I just use the tip of my vegetable peeler to dig the pit out. Once the cherries are pitted, it's easy as, well, pie.

Here's what you need for a 9-inch pie:

4 cups pitted cherries
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

In a saucepan, cook the cherries in the water for about 10 minutes, or until the cherries reach desired tenderness.


In a bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together. Add to the cherries. Cook until the mixture thickens. This only takes a few minutes.


Cool slightly before using. If you're not going to use the pie filling right away, store in the fridge for up to a week.

For more delicious recipes, visit Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog!! This was perfect timing because my son just was asking me if I could make a homemade cherry pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daddy's favorite pie was cherry I had cherry trees at my last house and made several for him

    ReplyDelete