Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Make your own taco sauce

One of my New Year's goals was to make more things from scratch instead of buying prepackaged and canned foods. I've been searching the internet for recipes for crackers, sauces, condiments, you name it.

I found several recipes for homemade taco sauce and combined them to create my own blend. It's so simple and frugal that I had to share it with you.

Here's what you need:

8-oz can tomato sauce
2 teas dried minced onion
1 teas cumin
1/2 teas chili powder
1/2 teas garlic powder
1/4 teas salt

In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients together until well-blended. Let sit in the fridge for several hours or overnight -the longer, the better. This will keep in the fridge for a week or so.

Adjust the seasonings to your family's tastes. This one is rather mild, but a teaspoon more of chili powder would kick it up a notch. Enjoy!

1 comment: