Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

My husband is not a big fan of marshmallows. He doesn't like the texture or the taste. S'mores? Not his thing. He didn't like Rice Krispie treats either until a friends gave us a marshmallow-free recipe.

These come together very quickly. The only part that takes a little time is the chilling phase. You definitely want your chocolate layer to set up before cutting.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 pkg chocolate chips

Melt the sugar and corn syrup together over medium heat. Use a large pan for this so when you add the cereal, it won't be overflowing.


Add the peanut butter and stir until melted. Remove from heat.



Stir in the Rice Krispies until well coated. Pat the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.



Melt the chocolate chips and spread over the entire pan. I use milk chocolate chips, but you could use semi-sweet or even a combo of chocolate and butterscotch chips.


Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes so the chocolate has a chance to harden. Let the pan sit on the counter for a few minutes before you try cutting them into small squares. These are rich and sweet, so small portions are good.

If you want to skip the chocolate layer completely, the treats are still very, very good. But who can resist a chocolate peanut butter combination? Not me.

For more yummy recipes, visit Blessed with Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays. You'll be glad you did!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.

3 comments:

  1. I love making rice Krispie Treats, but I love the addition of peanut butter and chocolate.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! My husband isn't a big marshmallow fan either, so I am going to have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wished that I could reach in this screen and eat the whole thing!

    Just love them!

    ReplyDelete