Sunday, November 22, 2009

Honey Bun Cake

Tonight after church, we had some friends come over for dessert. I decided to fall back on one of my favorite recipes. One, because it's easy. And I'm all about easy. Second, it's delicious. As in lip-smacking, plate-licking delicious.

My sister-in-law passed this recipe along to me and now I'll pass it along too. It's too good not to be shared. You will thank me. Your hips might not, but your taste buds will.



Honey Bun Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan. In a large mixing bowl, mix the above ingredients with an electric mixer. I use my Kitchen-Aid. Beat on low for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Batter should be thick and well-blended. Pour into prepared pan and smooth out.

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 TBSP ground cinnamon

Drizzle the honey over the top of the batter. I confess I rarely measure out 1/2 cup. I just start drizzling and drizzle until it looks good. By the time you're done, most of the cake should be covered. Sprinkle the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon over the honey. Take a butter knife and swirl the ingredients together.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when lightly pressed with your finger. Remove from the oven and cool slightly while you prepare the glaze.

2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth. Pour over the top of the warm cake and around the edges. Spread with a spatula until the cake is completely covered. Cool for at least 20 more minutes. It is best served warm, but is good at room temperature too. Cover leftovers with plastic wrap. If you have any left over, that is. And then scrape out all the carmelized honey from the bottom of the pan. You can tell your family that you're just cleaning up. No one will notice the sticky hands and face.

No comments:

Post a Comment